Below are a few fun facts about this momentous holiday and the history of the beloved taco according to the National Taco Day website.
1. Though the history of the taco is unknown, some anthropologists claim that there is evidence suggesting the people of the lake region of the Valley of Mexico ate fish tacos. This dates back to the 16th Century.
2. The hard shell taco was first documented in a cookbook by Fabiola Cabeza de Vaca Gilbert in 1949.
3. The word taco is synonymous with the English word sandwich.
4. Taco Bell, founded in 1962 in California, is believed to be responsible for the increase in popularity of Mexican food.
5. In 2012 4.5 billion tacos were eaten by Americans.
I hope you all were able to enjoy these scrumptious little “sandwiches” today as well in one way, shape, or form! Also, for those who are interested, today is also National Vodka Day. Seems like a really great combination of flavors to me….?